Tourist Information

To enter the Special Administrative Region (SAR) of Hong Kong and the SAR of Macau you need a valid passport. On entry German nationals receive a tourist visa which is valid for 3 months. This visa is, however, not valid for travels into Mainland China. To enter the P.R. of China you will need a Chinese visa for which you have to apply before the journey at the Chinese Embassy or one of the Chinese Consulates General in Germany.

For further enquiries please refer to:

Visa Section of the Consular Department of the Commissioner's Office of China's Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong SAR

A lot of German tourists and businessmen travel via Hong Kong to other destinations in Southeast Asia. Please be aware that for most of these countries your passport has to be valid for at least another 6 months after your journey (e.g. Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan). Please refer to the immigration authorities of the respective countries for details.

Security Advice

The Federal Foreign Office's website provides current information on the security situation in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Mainland China. The service is available in German language.

Himmelsscheibe ist jetzt nationales Kulturgut

Illicit trade in cultural property is threatening humanity’s cultural heritage

The illegal export of cultural property damages the cultural identity and integrity of the country of origin. Almost all states therefore demand a licence for the export of antiquities with national significance or prohibit their export entirely under threat of very severe punishments. These include the Federal Republic of Germany. The following flyer aims primarily at raising awareness of illicit trade in cultural property and is targeted at, among others, tourists as well as business travellers overseas.