Application procedure

Do I need a visa?

Holders of a BN(O), HKSAR or Macau SAR passport do not need a visa to enter the countries of the Schengen Agreement, including Germany, as tourists or business travellers if they stay not longer than 90 days within 6 months, provided that no employment is taken.

Other nationals might require a visa to enter Germany. To ascertain whether you need a visa please click on the link below for an overview of the countries.

List of states

Where to apply for a Schengen Visa?

The consulate general of the country of your main destination should issue your visa. If you visit more than one Schengen country and the main destination cannot be determined, please submit your application at the consulate general of the country of first entry.

Please note that the German Consulate Consulate also issues visas on behalf of Portugal and Slovenia, which are no longer represented in Hong Kong. Therefore, if you are a Hong Kong resident and your main destination is Portugal or Slovenia, you may apply for a Tourist Visa or a Business Visa at the German Consulate General. For other types of visa, please contact the Consulate General of Portugal in Macau or the Embassy of Slovenia in Beijing respectively.

Only Hong Kong and Macau residents may apply for visas at the German Consulate General in Hong Kong. If you are living in Mainland China, please consult the following website to locate the responsible German mission in your area: (in German and Chinese only)

Validity of a Schengen Visa

According to the Schengen Agreement, tourist and business visas are valid for travels to all Schengen member states. However, you always have to apply at the embassy of the country which is your main destination.

If you reside in Hong Kong and your main destination is Germany, Portugal or Slovenia, you have to submit your visa application to the German Consulate General in Hong Kong. All applications have to be submitted in person!

Passport requirements (relevant for all types of visa)

The passport must be valid for at least 3 months counting from the date of anticipated return to Hong Kong. If you apply for a residence permit for Germany your passport has to extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months. The passport has to contain at least 2 blank pages.

Visiting hours

Monday to Friday: 08.30 to 11:30

Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 08:30 to 09:00 (visa collection)